Saturday, October 31, 2009

Oops! Day 13!! Halloween day 13! (pt 2)

That last entry was wrong - its the 13th day not the 12th. how spooky: my 13th day here is Halloween & we're staying in the "13th Apostle" hostel! *shiver*

Trying not to think about it...

Did a canopy walk in the temperate rainforest (so I guess I can cross that off my list - tho id still like to do one in the tropical rainforest). It was pretty good; only problem was the canopy was metal but made to sway in the wind & it made me feel a little ill.

Figured out the crazy tree I described earlier is the mountain ash, which is the tallest flowering plant in the world & second tallest tree (second to the California redwoods).

Saw a bunch of Soft Tree Ferns, which take 200-300 years to grow! Pictured

I didn't find the Otway black snail; its only found in the Otway mtns, nowhere else in the world. Its carnivorous & cannibalistic - drills a hole in the shell of another snail & eats it alive. Yuk.

Didn't see platypus either, again! Those elusive buggers.

Drove out to the tiny town of Princetown, population 17, where we're spending the night. It is gorgeous & seriously the middle of nowhere. Had dinner & then headed to see the 12 Apostles rock formation at sunset.

Sunset didn't deliver any vibrant colors bc of the fog but I really quite liked the moody setting; I found it fitting.

Back to our creepy hostel (actually its really nice) in this creepy town (actually quite quaint) for a hopefully un-creepy nights sleep.

I think the group is planning to watch a scary movie tonight for Halloween ("Hostel" was mentioned - hell no) but for reasons I don't think I need to explain, I'm gonna be a granny & go to bed early. :)

Today I'm so happy & grateful for:
~ feeling better
~ trying new things
~ not having to be alone in this one streetlamp (literally) town in the true Oz boonies on Halloween night

Xo! n.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails