Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Guts.

I don't get it. I have travelled to the driest state in the driest continent in the world in the SUMMERTIME and yet, since I've been here its been rainy & cold. Really?? Really.

I'm starting to get the feeling there's some cosmic conspiracy to knock me on my ass. What's the lesson here? Don't push myself so hard to squeeze everything in? Don't be so stubborn with my money as to put myself in uncomfortable situations?

Actually, I think the lesson is to trust my gut instincts. The little voice that says "don't go out tonight, get some sleep" or "change rooms" or "wear a sweatshirt." The little voice that my brain is trained to rationalize away.

Over the past two weeks, in the interest of making the most of my time & money, I've skimped on the important stuff (where I sleep, what I eat) & splurged on stuff that seemed important (tours, extra activities, going out to solidify new friendships). And tho that stuff IS important, its not worth anything if I don't take care of myself first.

I've always done this. Anything that seems a luxury for me I see as wasteful. Remember the time I slept in the airport bc I missed my connecting flight & the hotel would've cost $70? I had the money, I just couldn't justify spending it on where I slept. Kind of ridiculous.

My gut was screaming at me to get a private room in a quieter hostel when I first arrived in Adelaide, but my mind said, ugh, what an inconvenience to pack everything up & move again.
I should've done it tho.

From now on I'm going to make a serious effort to listen to my gut & really take into account how I feel before making any decisions. And I'm going to put my well-being first.

Yall can hold me accountable. Here goes...

1 comment:

  1. here, here! alright then..I am going to make sure you are true to your word...well, once you get back at least...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails