Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reverb 10 - Just one thing

...is a super cool initiative set up by some super cool people for reviewing this past year and creating for the new year.  As per usual, I'm late in hearing about it (I'm pretty dang rad but I tend to be a bit behind when it comes to pop culture & the "in" stuff) by about a week, so although it's meant to be a daily prompt, I'll be playing a little bit of catch up.

If you want to play along, visit them here; the questions can be journaled or blogged or just thought about.  I have had an incredible, strange year in 2010 and would really like to focus my energies in 2011; I'm hoping this gives me a place to start.

Here goes...

December 1 – One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

2010 has been Unexpected. 
I started the year in Australia, rang it in with fireworks and boys streaking down a Queensland beach.  I hadn't planned to be there for New Year's, yet there I was, and I was loving it.  A little over a month later, I was in LA, selling my furniture to move to DC when out of the blue I was cast in a movie.  My planned two month cross-country road trip turned into a two-week drive up the California coast with my mom; we kayaked, rode horses, window-shopped and hiked.  I returned to an incredible few days on set, doing what I'd been preparing for my whole life, and knowing I was good at it.  I slept on my friends couch for a month until a perfect month-to-month deal found me & I moved into a room with borrowed furniture.  I found the JetBlue all-you-can-jet pass just in time, had nothing holding me back & a friend who could sublease, so I spent 6 weeks flying from city to city, seeing new places & old friends.  On my way back to LA, a job fell in my lap so I took it.

Everything about this year has been unplanned or anti-my-plan.  It's been wonderful (and looking back on it that succinctly, I can't believe I fit all that in one year!) but it's also been stressful.  At every turn, I've wondered if I'm still on the right path; each new opportunity brought at least as much fear as it did joy.


2011 will be Purposeful.
I don't think life gets much more wander-y and directionless than my 2010.  And it's been lovely.  It's given me a lot of insight as to what I want out of my life and what my ultimate (read: overreaching, big-picture, whole-life) goals are.  I'm not sure of the specifics or how to get there, but I know the life I want - the love, the freedom, the creativity, the exploration, the balance, and the joy that I will have, no matter what the job, the home, the city or the relationship look like.  Now is the time to take those dreams that are starting to come into focus and pursue them, even if that pursuit takes me down a few dead ends; it's time for action.

I will purposefully seek out ways to bring more of the things I want into my life.  I will live with purposeful intention & not just let days pass me by.  I will trust that as long as I'm living with my purpose in mind, "failure" is ok & there are no wrong choices, only avenues that lead to other avenues toward my goals.  It is the year for clarity and purposeful, joyful action.

What are your words for 2010 & 2011?  Feel free to tell me in the comments or link to your Reverb blog post.  I'd really love to hear.

Today I am so grateful & happy for reflection & self-awareness.

xo! n.

[awesome quote source]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails